Summit Air successfully conducts test flight at Sanfebagar Airport

Posted on by Pinkey Rai

Summit Air has successfully completed a test flight with its LET L-410 aircraft from Simkot Airport to Sanfebagar Airport today under the command of Captain AD Sherpa. Sanfebagar Airport located at Achham which has been out of operation for past 13 years is preparing to resume its service after Summit Air’s aircraft conducted test flight on today.

According to Yogendra Raj Sharma, Engineer of Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN), 95 per cent of work has been completed and remaining 5 per cent will be done in June, 2018.

Amar construction (to whom the construction work was hand over) stated that the construction work have almost completed where 500m long and 80 m width runway has been blacktopped.

Although there are 50 domestic airports in Nepal, 31 have been operated with the resumption of Rajbiraj Airport, which came into operation on Thursday. Now the number of operational airport will reach to 32 after resumption of Sanfebagar Airport.

Sanfebagar Airport is considered to be the most suitable for operating aircraft in hilly area. Achham is the only district where two airports (Kamal Bazar and Sanfebagar airports) are situated. The construction work of Sanfebagar airport was initiated in 2024BS and came into operation in 2034BS. However, there has been no any initiation for operating Kamal Bazar airport till now.

Locals stated that the airport could access the tourists to the tourism destination in Ramarshan, Vaidyanath, Bunigadi and Badimalika of Panchdeval Bajura and Khaptad area. The airport in the region is also expected to boost the economy. Moreover, the airfield could also serve the nearby Bayalpata Hospital which caters to the medical needs of patients from six surrounding districts. Currently, driving from Dhangadhi is the fastest way to reach Sanfebagar from the East-West Highway which takes about eight hours non-stop.

About the Author
Pinkey Rai