With an exciting holiday season around the corner, Houston awaits visitors to explore the fall and festive flourishes of the most populous city in Texas this month. If you travel from Chicago to Houston by air, you should know the flight timing. In this article, we will take a closer look at Chicago to Houston flights time, which vary according to the airline schedule, airports used, etc. Let’s dive right into the Chicago-Houston flight timing.
It takes an average of 2 hours and 40 minutes to fly directly from Chicago to Houston, covering a flight distance of about 925 miles (1489km).
Airport options for Chicago to Houston flights
Chicago is home to two major airports: O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Midway International Airport (MDW), which means you can take your flight from either of them. In the same way, you have two landing options in Houston as the metropolis has two main aerial gateways: George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and William P. Hobby Airport (HOU). You can take Chicago to Houston flights on either route: ORD-IAH, MDW-IAH, and MDW-HOU. There is no direct flight option between ORD and HOU airports. Based on these routes, let’s find the time for Chicago to Houston flights.
Chicago to Houston flights time
1. On the ORD-IAH route
US carriers like American Airlines, Spirit Airlines, and United Airlines fly nonstop from O’Hare Airport to Houston George Bush Airport. Dallas Fort Worth-headquartered American Airlines (AA) is the second largest carrier in Chicago-O-Hare and offers direct and indirect flights to Houston IAH.
AA nonstop ORD-IAH flight times are as follows:
- AA 3404: 9.31 AM-12:39 PM (3 hours 8 minutes)
- AA3413: 12:55 PM-3:54 PM (2 hours 59 minutes)
- AA414: 9:13 PM-11:58 PM (2 hours 45 minutes)
American Airlines uses Embraer 175 (75 seaters) and Boeing 737-800 aircraft for nonstop flights between ORD and IAH.
The connecting AA flights from Chicago to Houston have layovers at Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) or Charlotte (CLT). The flight time varies according to the layover duration; the fastest indirect flight of American Airlines arrives at Houston Intercontinental after 4 hours 22 minutes, while the longest flight duration is 10 hours 32 minutes.
Spirit Airlines’ nonstop flight timings on the ORD-IAH route include
- NK519: 6:45AM-9:30 Am (2 hours 45 minutes)
- NK820: 2:50 PM-5:36 PM (2 hours 46 minutes)
Spirit deploys narrowbody A319 capable of seating up to 145 people on the ORD-IAH route. It also operates indirect flight service in this sector with a stopover at Orlando (MCO) or Atlanta.
United Airlines is the primary operator at Chicago-O’Hare and Houston Intercontinental and operates multiple flights on this route. UA’s Chicago to Houston flights time is scheduled as follows:
- UA2145: 5:45 AM-8:35 AM (2 hours 50 minutes)
- UA691: 7:45 AM-10:38AM (2 hours 53 minutes)
- UA1112: 8:47 AM-11:34 AM (2 hours 47 minutes)
- UA1084: 10:35 AM-01:27 PM (2 hours 53 minutes)
- UA2195: 12:45 PM-03:40 PM (2 hours 55 minutes)
- UA2434: 02:05 PM-04:53 PM (2 hours 48 minutes)
- UA2161: 03:56 PM-06:48 PM (2 hours 52 minutes)
- UA1778: 06:02 PM-08:50 PM (2 hours 48 minutes)
- UA2665: 08:15 PM-11:03 PM (2 hours 48 minutes)
United deploys 179-seat Boeing 737-900, 234-seat Boeing 757-300, 178-seat Boeing 737 Max 9, 178-seat Airbus A320, 165-seat Boeing 737-800, and 300seat-Boeing 777 aircraft from Chicago (ORD) to Houston (IAH).
US carriers indirectly connecting O’Hare International Airport to George Bush Airport include Delta Airlines (layover at Atlanta) and Frontier Airlines (layover at Atlanta).
2. On the MDW-IAH route
Dallas-headquartered Southwest Airlines is the only carrier offering nonstop service from Midway International Airport to George Bush Intercontinental Airport. Southwest operates 69 weekly flights on the MDW-IAH route, flying at an average flight of 2 hours 41 minutes to cover a distance of 917 miles.
Southwest Airlines’ Chicago to Houston flights’ times are scheduled as follows:
- WN1699: 09:20 AM -12:05 AM
- WN510: 08:40 AM-11:20 AM
- WN743: 10:55 AM-01:30 PM
- WN102: 08:45 PM-11:20 PM
- WN3845: 09:30 PM-12:10 AM
- WN1311: 09:40 PM-12:14 AM
3. On the MDW-HOU route
On the Midway International-Houston Hobby route, only Southwest Airlines operates nonstop flights. The low-cost carrier operates 100 weekly flights with five nonstop services every day of the week.
Southwest Airline’s flight timing on the MDW-HOU route is scheduled as follows:
- 6:25 AM to 9:10 AM (2 hours 45 minutes)
- 8:45 AM to 11:20 AM (2 hours 35 minutes)
- 12:35 AM to 3:20 PM (2 hours 45 minutes)
- 5:00 PM to 7:35 PM (2 hours 35 minutes)
- 8:40 PM to 11:15 PM (2 hours 35 minutes)